For our Students

Although the department doesn't offer a specific masters program, a masters degree in psychology can be obtained.

On the site Courses, you can find information about the courses offered to both exchange students and free movers. In most cases the courses are an advanced level (second level) and given to masters or PhD students. In general it’s appropriate if you already have a bachelor, or at least been studying psychology for 1½ years including a thesis. See prerequisites for each course for more information.

You can combine the courses in any way you wish, usually with 2 courses per semester. Each semester is 30 ECTS and one course is usually 15 ECTS. If you would like to complete a master thesis we recommend that you take the course Scientific Perspective and Methodology (or similar statistic and methodology course) before the thesis.

You can always stop by the student couselling office to talk about how you should combine your courses in a suitable way.

How to apply

If you are a free mover please apply to the course by using the website 

If you are an exchange student please contact your international office for information on how to apply.

Documents in English

Make sure that you always send diplomas, grades and other documents with a copy translated into Swedish or English with your application. Preferably also send a decription of your system (if you don't use ECTS), so that we can translate your credits into our ECTS-system.

A typical course

Usually the course starts with an introduction where you will learn more about what course contains, the litterateur and meet the teacher/s. The course is usually full time, which means that you should expect to particpate in scheduled activities and study independently approximately 40 hours per week. Scheduled activities can include lectures, laboratory experiment, seminars, and presentations, but might not list group work, time to reading literature and writing rapports etc. More information on this can be found through the link Academic Information, to the right.


In Sweden something called the “academic quarter” is often applied. It was originally invented for students who stopped their lecture at say 10.00 and had another one starting at 10.00. To give them time to make it to their next lecture in time it became custom to start lectures 15 minutes late ("a quarter"). So all lectures stopped at .00 and they started at .15.

If your schedule says 10.00 it means 10.00, and if it says 10.15 it means 10.15. But if your schedule says 10 am it might mean 10.15. This will be clear to you as time pass by, but now you know why.


It is custom to show the teacher and the other students respect by showing up in time, turning off your cell phone and keeping quiet while someone is talking. The teacher will let you know if it’s okey to ask questions during, or after, the lecture. If the teacher doesn’t mention this, it is okey to interrupt.

Laboratory experiment

If you have got instructions for the experiment, please read this ahead and ask any questions regarding the instructions at the introduction of the experiment.


Usually you have received an article before the seminar to discuss. Prepare yourself by reading the article and write down questions or make notes if there is something you find interesting, or have problems understanding.

Everybody’s equal

In Sweden we have a casual way of addressing each other, and it’s okey to call people by their first name. If you want to talk to someone who works in the university, it’s all right to knock on their door and ask if they have time to talk to you.

Everyone shall be treated with the same respect regardless of sex, age, race, religion and status. This applies to both students and employees, and might be something to reflect upon if it’s not your custom.

Residence Permit

The fact that we don't have a master program might cause problems for students who wish to take a master at our department, and thus need a residence permit to study in Sweden. This situation has been successfully resolved for previous students, but be prepared for some paper work with the Swedish Immigration Board.

If you don't need a visa to stay in Sweden, or only wish to stay for a shorter peroid this will not be such an issue.

More information for both free movers (international students) and exchange students:
International Office

Page Editor: Michael Gruber

Print page

Extra re-exam

Dates for Extra re-exam

Contact us

International coordinator

Erica Åström
Department of Psychology
S-901 87 Umeå 

Tel:  +46 90 786 54 35

Student counselling

Jenny Nilsson
Department of Psychology
S-901 87 Umeå

Tel:  +46 90 786 50 65

Visiting Address
Corridor B, room 110, Behavioural Sciences Building

Course website in Cambro

Course website

Log in to Cambro

There are three ways to log into Cambro: With a central user name (CAS) that is used by students and staff at Umeå University, as a guest user (external guests) or as a user from one of Sweden's other colleges and universities.
Here you find a description of these three login options